Tuesday 2 July 2013

Life in Halifax #3 - psychiatry

Psychiatry weeks are going to end soon. 

So far, I would say that the most interesting and the scariest part was the sessions in forensic psychiatry hospital. And I personally think that I have been exposed to things that I might not be able to see in my remaining life and I have learnt a lot there. However, the most valuable part I learnt there is not about my academic but about my life. I have learnt not to be judgmental to people who commit crime or having any psychiatric problem. I wasn't exposed to any psychiatric patients before I came here. I think the first day when I was there, I was a little bit judgmental to the lady whom I interviewed. After listening to her person stories, especially her childhood, I realized that I was wrong being afraid of whatever she has done or her behaviour or maybe her thoughts. 

There is a sentence like this under the person stories component in psychiatry history taking, 
"Find out what they think has made them who they are now." 

I wouldn't say that psychiatry patients have no responsibility of who they are today, but parents and their genes have always play an important role. And no one wants to be called "crazy, insane" or whatever they are being called outside because of all the stigmas and discrimination. I know it's not easy to be non-judgmental so we need to learn. 

Today, we went to child and adolescent psychiatry department. I saw these drawings on the wall. 

A very encouraging quote~ Not only for patients, but for everyone~ 

Be positive, people!! We know how to drive on bumpy roads, so do our lives! 
Always believe in yourself! We can do it!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment