Wednesday 29 May 2013

Dehumanized doctors

My heart is broken.

I feel so upset after reading a doctor's blog about the facts happening in hospitals nowadays. There are doctors who make unethical decisions which might harm patients just to make money. The doctor purposely elicited an abdominal pain by pressing hard on it to get the abnormal finding, then the patient was told to be diagnosed with appendicitis and an urgent appendectomy is needed. How painful it is to know that doctors are not treating patients but harming patients unethically.

I recall what my friends and I discussed this afternoon. We told each other our experiences on how bad the doctors behave in the hospital or even in front of the patients. My friend was a medical student during her elective, this patient was having a swelling breast which was full of pus. The smell was really bad. The worst thing was the attending doctor said she couldn't take the smell because of some unreasonable reasons in front of the patient, then she asked my friend to do the dressing. This is just so ridiculous for me.  

Another dehumanized incident happened in my friend's family. It was a car accident and her mother and her brother were sent to the emergency department by a passerby. Her mother was having an abdominal bleeding. Her brother was having a bleed on the head and he was unconscious. However, there was no one helping them. The nurses were ignoring them and no one offered to help them at all.

I don't have the qualification to criticize any of them. Doctors are human too. And feelings get desensitized as time goes on. My dad was scolded by a surgeon when he shouted for pain during a surgery. The surgeon told my dad not to do the surgery if my dad feels pain. How harsh was it to actually tell patients things like that. I couldn't imagine how terrible my dad felt when he got scolded.

There is a saying in Chinese, 人之初,性本善。It means that human are basically born kind. I'm sure that there's no one who wants to be dehumanized. People always forget who they are and what their role is. How painful it is when there is no one around reminding them of these. 

A beautiful video here to share with you. 

"If we could see inside others' hearts"





No comments:

Post a Comment