Friday 23 August 2013

Life in Halifax #6 - Observership and End of Link Program

This is a late post. My observership was in July actually. Observership basically means that shadowing a doctor in hospital and whether we have the chance to see patients on our own depends on the doctor we shadow. 

There were up and down during my observership as expected. What I didn't expect was the feedback from the second doctor I followed. I was told that I was like a Med 1 student for her. (I'm Med3!!) That was really depressing. I did what I could to impress her after getting such feedback. At the end of the week following her, finally she sees me differently and told me that I will do well in my coming clinical year. Seriously, UP and DOWN.....

That was Pediatrics clinics. 

After that I did 6 days in Emergency department. I did both day shifts and night shifts and I enjoyed a lot a lot a lot. It was so fun that I saw patients on my own and I can see improvement on my skills after 6 days. The doctor has been very nice, helping me a lot, teaching me a lot. Thanks! 

Within the 6 days, I was scolded by patients, praised by patients' and patient's family members, confused by patients, rejected by patients and met patients who hid their stories from me as well. Some patients are really difficult but at the same time, they somehow made my day an interesting one. It's a very good challenge for me and all these patients have somehow been my motivation to be a better person or better doctor in the future. 

Believe in being STRONG when everything seems to be going wrong.
Believe that HAPPY girls are the PRETTIEST girls.
Believe that tomorrow is another day.
Believe in MIRACLES

So there comes end of my link program! HOORAY!! =)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment